Newborn babies require more responsibility and care. The first few months were difficult and overwhelming for the first time parents. And from now you will get advice from everyone from relatives to neighbours about the Newborn Baby Care. Deciding what advice to follow and what not can be a bit confusing. That’s why infant care is challenging and tricky but is also one of the most precious and rewarding experiences of life.
Believe us caring a newborn baby doesn’t require any rocket science all you need is basic knowledge and some helpful routine tips. In fact, your motherly instincts will also help you to take care of a newborn baby.
So are you wondering what are those tips and information are? Well, this article will give you all the knowledge that you need on “How to take care of a newborn baby?”
- 1. Handling and Holding
- 2. Bonding and Soothing
- 3. Diapering a Newborn Baby
- 4. Feeding and Burping
- 5. Bathing Basics
- 6. Sleeping basics
- Some basic tips for Newborn baby care
1. Handling and Holding
A newborn is very sensitive, fragile and may feel delicate to you. Holding and handling them in a proper way is a must. Here are some basics tips you can adopt while handling a newborn baby.
- Always wash your hands before handling a baby. Newborn babies have a very weak immune system that leads them to a greater risk of getting infections. One can also use hand sanitisers to clean hands. Always make sure that everyone who handles your baby has clean hands.
- Support them from head and neck. This is because the neck muscles of newborn babies are weak and they can,t support their head on their own. At this time the backbone is also growing and becoming stronger. Always pay special attention to the head and neck while holding a newborn baby
- Never shake your newborn baby Always make sure that you never shake them not in play neither in frustration. Shaking a baby can lead to internal brain bleeding and damage to undeveloped muscles. If you need to wake your baby do it by tickling on the feet or gently blowing on the cheeks.
2. Bonding and Soothing
Bonding is the first step towards parenting and newborn baby care.
It is the most rememberable part of infant care. It develops a deep connection between parents and the little one. For infants, this attachment contributes to their emotional and physical growth.
You can begin bonding by gently cradling and stroking gently on different parts of the body. Other ways you to bond with babies include sweet vocal sounds such as babbling and cooing. Infant massage is also a great way to bond with your baby.
Researches have shown that a massage proves beneficial for your baby in many ways. A good massage can help your child to sleep calm, strengthen bones and muscles and also relax them when they are irritated. And as we said it is a great way to bond with your newborn. Massaging is one of the important parts of newborn baby care.
Choose the massage oil for your baby
Choosing the right oil for your baby might prove tricky as babies have different types of skin. But you can choose from a variety of oils. For babies with sensitive skin, virgin coconut oil can be the best choice. Moreover, coconut oil can be used for almost every skin types. Along with this Almond oil, Sesame oil can also be used for baby massage.
Suggested article- How to choose the best oil for your baby
Quick steps to massage your baby
Here are some points that will assist you in massaging your baby
- Always sit on a bed or a soft carpeted floor
- Now start massaging from the legs by dropping some drops of oil on the baby’s soles and gently go up to the thighs
- After the legs are done go up to the arms and then to the chest and shoulders.
- The next step is to massage the baby’s tummy. Massaging tummy helps them to relieve from gas, colic and constipation
- After this massage, your baby’s back. For this place your him on the tummy with his both hands on the front. Also, massage the buttocks while massaging the baby’s back.
- The last step is to go for the face and head. While massaging face and head pay special attention to the soft spot on his/her head.
After bonding the next thing that comes is soothing. Soothing in general means helping the baby with his problems. Babies get irritated due to many reasons and similarly, there are many ways to soothe an irritated baby. The best ways to soothe are making sweet sounds, cradling, massaging and Swadling.
Swadling is a soothing technique that first-time parents should learn. Apart from soothing this technique provides a sense of security to the babies while they sleep. Make sure that the baby is swaddled not too tight and there should be a space of one hand between the blanket and the his chest.
Quick steps to swaddle your baby
Here are some steps on how to swaddle a baby:-
- Spread a blanket with it one corner slightly folded making a diamond-like shape
- Place the baby face-up on the blanket so that their shoulder is just above the fold
- Now grab the right side of the blanket and tuck it to the left side keeping the left arm out
- Next step is to put the bottom corner up and tuck it to the fold of the right shoulder. Make sure that the blanket must not be too tight on hips and knees and these should be slightly bent out.
- The last step is too grab the right corner and tuck it to the baby’s left exposing only the baby’s head and neck. Make sure that the blanket is not too tight on the chest and you can ensure this by slipping your hand between the chest and the blanket.
3. Diapering a Newborn Baby
Diapering is another important aspect of Infant care. You will have to decide in advance whether to go for Disposables diapers or to adopt cloth diapering. Make sure that you have sufficient diapers as a newborn baby needs almost 10-12 diapers a day.
These are the main supplies that you will need while diapering your baby:-
- A clean Diaper
- Diaper cover and extra inserts if you adopt cloth diapering
- Rash creams and ointments to deal with rashes and irritated skin
- Baby wipes or cotton balls to clean them
After every 2-3 Hours or after every bowel movement check for wet diaper or remove it if soiled. Gently clean the back along with genitals with cotton balls or baby wipes. For baby girl always clean her from front to back. As hygiene is must always wash your hands before and after a diaper change.
Apply a rash cream or ointment to heal and prevent rashes. Diaper rashes are the most common concern among babies. A rash is a red bumpy irritated spot on the baby’s skin and generally go away within a few days if proper care is done. They generally occur because babies have sensitive skin which becomes irritated when a contact of skin with the wet and soiled diaper is long.
Treatment of diaper rashes
To prevent or heal a diaper rash you can apply the following tips:-
- Change th;e diapers more frequently and after every bowel movement as soon as possible. Make sure that baby is dry.
- Apply a rash cream or thick paste to deal with existing rashes. Zinc oxide is the main ingredient used in rash creams as they form a barrier against moisture.
- Let your little one go diaper-free for a part of a day because a bare bottom is sometimes necessary.
If the baby is still suffering from rashes consult the doctor as they can be fungal infections.
Also read:- 3 simple steps to effective baby diapering
4. Feeding and Burping
Feeding and nutrition is the most important part of a baby’s daily routine and Infant care. A newborn baby needs to be fed every 2-3 hours. If you are breastfeeding give your baby10-15 minutes to nurse himself and if your Infant relies on formula feeding he/she takes only about 60-90 ml at each feeding.
For formula feeding, it is easier to track if he/she is getting enough to eat but for breastfeeding, this tracking becomes a bit trickier. You can track it in a simple way. If your baby is gaining weight regularly, produces 6-7 wet diapers and stool several times it means that it is getting the perfect amount of nutrition.
Suggested post:- Baby feeding- Complete guide for new parents
Babies often take in air while feeding which leads to gas and stomach pain. to prevent this try burping your baby often. You can burp them after every 60-90 ml of feeding or every 5 minutes during breastfeeding.
To burp a baby try these methods:-
- Hold your baby upright with his /her head lying on your shoulder. With one hand support his neck and head and with another hand gently pat and rub their back to burp. Always put a cloth on your shoulder because babies sometimes spit up while burping.
- Place your baby on your lap with their chest slightly leaning forward. With your one hand under the baby’s chin support their head and chest and with other hand pat your baby on the back across the shoulder blades to let them burp.
Always keep your baby in an upright position for 10-15 minutes after feeding to avoid spit-ups. Make sure you always burp them during and after feeding. If one method doesn’t work try another one for a few minutes before feeding the baby again. Feeding and nutrition is an essential part of Newborn baby care.
5. Bathing Basics
Cleanliness and hygiene form the basic aspect of newborn baby care. And that’s why cleaning and bathing your baby is a must.
For babies under the age of 12 months bathing 2-3 times a weak is absolutely fine. More frequent bathing can lead to drying of the skin. For newborn babies, a sponge bath is considered best until the umbilical cord falls off and the navel area heals completely.
To bathe your baby gather the following supplies:-
- Dry diapers and clean clothes
- Dry towel
- Mild unscented baby soap and shampoo
- a soft clean washcloth
- a plastic tub for a tub bath
To sponge bath, a baby fills a bowl with warm (not hot) water and sit with your newborn on a flat yet soft surface of a cosy warm room. Now undress your baby and cover him with a towel. Now starting from the face and head without using soap clean him/her using a washcloth. Pay attention to the neck and head and gently clean through the creases. The spaces between the fingers of toes and hands and behind the ears get dirtier than any other body part so gently and carefully clean them. Always clean the diaper area at last
Make sure that the umbilical cord stump remains dry. If accidentally it becomes wet gently dry it with a soft towel. Always support the baby’s neck and head during bathing.
For tub bath undress your baby and place him in a tub filled with warm water not more than 2-3 inches deep. Make sure that you choose a warm space so that the baby doesn’t feel cold. use your one hand to support the baby and with another hand gently place him in the tub.
Use a washcloth to clean the baby’s face. With your palms gently clean his scalp and head. While rinsing the shampoo from the scalp make sure to protect his eyes by making a cover above eyes on the forehead so that the foam run towards the sides. Gently wash the baby with a small amount of water and soap.
During the whole bathing, the process makes sure to regularly pour water from a baby’s body so that he doesn’t feel cold. After the bathing is done immediately dry your baby and cover him with a soft towel. Also, make sure to cover his head to keep them warm.
While bathing never leave your baby alone undressed or in a tub. Protecting your baby against any possible risk is the first priority of every parent and proves important during the Newborn baby care.
6. Sleeping basics
As a new parent you will be surprised to know that your newborn baby sleeps almost 14-16 hours a day. They usually sleeps for a period of 3-4 hours at one time.
The digestive system of a newborn baby is very small and needs to be fed every few hours. Most of the time they need to be awakened after a few hours as their small stomach needs food and they need to be nourished.
Sometimes baby sleeps during the day and not during the night. This is normal as most babies tend to sleep at night after 3 months of age. If your baby is still not sleeping during the night it’s ok as just like adults babies develop their own sleeping patterns. If your newborn is gaining weight and is healthy don’t take any stress its ok.
A little trick you can do is keep your baby active during the day, play with him and keep him reserve all day. Automatically they will sleep through the night as they feel tired being active throughout the day
Always make sure that baby sleep on their back and not on their stomach or on heir side. Sleeping on the stomach or on the side increases the risk of suffocation and SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome). Other safe practices include not using heavy blankets, sheepskin, soft toys and pillows. Also, alternate your baby’s head position from night to night to prevent the development of a flat spot on one side of the head.
Some basic tips for Newborn baby care
Here are some of the important and basic tips that need to be kept in mind while doing infant care. These routine tips for newborn baby care help to keep them healthy and fit.
- A newborn baby is delicate and fragile. Never shake a newborn baby its not a toy for rough play. Always support them from their neck and head.
- Babies have soft skin and that too is sensitive which gets infected very easily. That’s why always keep your baby clean, Make sure to check diaper regularly and change wet diapers frequently. Long contact with wet and soiled diapers can lead to rashes and infections
- Babies have a very small digestive system that needs to be nourished every 3-4 hours. Feed your baby duly as proper nourishment keeps them healthy and fit
- Bathe your baby every 2-3 times a weak. Sponge bath them until the umbilical cord has been fallen and navel area is completely healed. After then you can introduce them to a tub bath. Never leave your baby alone in the tub during bathing.
- Always place baby on their back while sleeping and not on their stomach. Sleeping on the stomach or on the sides increases the risk of SIDS.
- While swaddling makes sure that the baby is swaddled neither too tight nor too loose. Pay special attention to the hips knees and legs and these should be slightly bent out. Make sure that the blanket is not too tight on the chest. There should be a space of one hand between them. You can check this by slipping your one hand between baby’s chest and the blanket.
Conclusion of how to take care of a newborn baby
As a first time parent, you may feel anxious and frustrated while taking care of your newborn baby. But after a few weeks, you will develop a daily routine and then parenting them becomes easy. At first newborn baby care might seems difficult to you but as it becomes a daily part of your routine it proves to be very easy and most rememberable part of your life.
The routine caring tips that we covered in this article forms the basic part of Newborn baby care. Starting from holding to sleeping basics these are the activities that are most repeated while taking care of an infant. The main aim of these tips is to make parenting and infant care easy so that you can spend more quality and happy time with your baby and family